Residents may recycle paper and food and beverage containers and cardboard at the recycling drop-off trailers located around the County. Please be considerate of the facilities hosting recycling trailers and help keep these sites neat. Take plastic bags with you and do not leave any materials outside the bins. All items accepted at the trailers are also accepted at the Landfill and Balls Ford Road Compost Facility.
Recycling drop off trailers are for residential recycling and should not be used by businesses.
- Plastics bottles, jugs and jars -- #1 and #2 containers, including soda, water, juice, milk and detergent containers. Rinse out containers. Bottle caps may be replaced after rinsing. No bottles that previously contained hazardous materials (such as motor oil, flammable materials, chemicals, etc.).
- Aluminum and steel food and beverage cans and empty aerosol cans. Empty and rinse out cans.
- Newspapers, magazines, catalogs, junk mail, office paper and paperboard boxes, such as cereal, cookie, cracker and tissue boxes.
- Flattened cardboard (please cut down to sizes up to 2 ft. X 2 ft. to fit in trailers. Please note: large boxes are accepted at the County Landfill or Balls Ford Road Compost Facility. Do not include cardboard with food residue or plastic liners. Please discard packing materials such as Styrofoam, air pillows and bubble wrap.
- No plastic bags - most grocery stores accept this item for recycling
- No glass items. Glass bottles, jugs and jars may be placed in purple bins located at Solid Waste facilities and other locations in the County. Window glass, mirrors, light bulbs or ceramics items must be placed in the trash.
- Window glass, mirrors, light bulbs or ceramics items must be placed in the trash.
- No plastics #3 - #7 (such as yogurt, margarine and wide mouthed containers and buckets, Styrofoam, bubble wrap, air pillows, etc.) See A to Z Disposal Guide for other options, or place these materials in the trash.
Residents may drop off the following items at the Landfill and Balls Ford Road during regular business hours. Please do not place these items at the recycling trailers.
- Scrap metal (car bodies are not accepted )
- Car batteries
- Used oil filters
- Motor oil or antifreeze - store separately in clean container. Other fluids or solvents may be accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste program.
- Yard waste: grass, leaves, brush, branches and pruning.
- Food waste is accepted for composting from residents at the Balls Ford Road Compost Facility.
- Cokesbury Methodist Church at 14806 Blackburn Rd. (near the intersection with Reddy Road) in Woodbridge (Please note - the church sponsors a separate container for aluminum cans used as a fund raising activity.)
Dale City Area:
- Birchdale Recreation Center - 14730 Birchdale Ave.
- Hillendale Commuter Lot - Hillendale Road near Dale Blvd.
- Hylton Boys & Girls Club on Dale Boulevard - 5070 Dale Blvd.
- Dale City Commuter Lot - behind Giant Foods, Gemini Way near Minnieville Rd.
- *Dr. A. J. Ferlazzo Building at Donald Curtis Dr. and Cardinal Dr.
- Town of Quantico on Virginia Street at Potomac Ave.
Lake Ridge/Occoquan Area:
- Commuter lot at Route 123 and Old Bridge Road (Old Hechinger's site)
- Town of Occoquan at Mill St. parking lot under Route 123 bridge
- Ben Lomond/Splash Down Water Park - 7500 Ben Lomond Dr.
- *Balls Ford Road Compost Facility 13000 Balls Ford Rd.
- *County Sanitary Landfill 14811 Dumfries Rd.
- The James J. McCoart Administration Building - parking lot off Greatbridge Road. (formerly Asdee Lane) and PW Parkway (Glass recycling trailer location)
- Exxon at the Glen, 4255 Seeton Square, near Prince William Parkway and Old Bridge Road
- Linton Hall School 9535 Linton Hall Rd. - Bristow
- *James Long Park on Route 15 - between Dominion Valley and Route 234 (Glass recycling trailer location)
- Nokesville Park on Aden Road - 12560 Aden Rd.
- Town of Haymarket - 6707 Jefferson St. (adjacent to the Haymarket Masonic Lodge and Old Haymarket Fire Station)
* Indicates that purple glass only recycling bins are available at this location.